Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: From Mantaray to Multicell

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So my A-7s came with MR954's (?) and 299-8A drivers, I've been using a pair of N-801A crossovers.

    Now I've installed a a pair of 803B horns on the 299's with N-801's. Right off I hear an increase in dynamics and what seems more clarity to the music.

    I'm also amazed how the HF seems higher now, I tried adding another cap coupled 808 driver to sweeten the Manta's. With the 803's I don't seem to want more HF yet!

    Anyway I'm quite pleased with the sound I'm getting, but I was told I should try to get a 300hz crossover.

    Are there any 300 cycle crossover schematics around ?


    Link to my gallery
    http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/t...um=1470&page=1

  2. #2
    Hostboard Member C.DARRELL FREEMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2006
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    hello,if i read your post correctly,you said that you were advised to get a 300hz crossover for your 2/way a7 system.i do not believe this would be a good choice as that would lower the crossover point between the highs and lows to around 300hz and your compression driver voice coil would be subject to failure from the band of low frequencies that it would also have to tolerate even at moderate listening levels.by the way,if you are interested in selling the mantaray II594's,let me know.thanks,olepuss

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    The 803 horn makes a lot of sense at 500 hz . Altec did not make 300 HZ crossover to my knowledge. You will have to go active for that.

    Interresting , congratulations your getting close
    to an A-5 speaker.The 803 horn does not figure
    in any of their crossover network recomendation.
    The 803 would be a long throw horn.Probably used
    in large PA applications with 817 cabinets .Such as indoor arena.

    Go for the N 501-8A crossover.

    I have the schematics if your interested.

    ...........................................

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    From Mantaray to Multicell


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The guys are right I would not go any lower than 500. There is no advantage to 300 only disadvantages here IMHO.

    The 501 is a very good unit and will work just fine , but it's not optimized for the 299.

    I would recommend a good custom crossover or active.

    If you want to go whole hog, look at a DSP crossover. The Behringer DCX is good- and cheap.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've got (1) N-501A, anyone out there got a spare, they can part with?
    Willie

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Drummerwill, I have also found that the 300Hz. multicellulars are fine performers. An aluminum diaphragm driver like 288 will sound unhappy run down to 300Hz., but a phenolic 290 will like it just fine and sound very good from 300Hz. to about 5kHz., where a tweeter can be crossed in. I have always liked this option as vocals tend to sound better from a compression driver in this range than from a paper cone woofer.

    The cells in an 803B actually have a lower flare constant than 300Hz., something like 160 or 180Hz. The original Lansing Shearer Horn systems were crossed over at 375 or 400Hz., though the better lower midrange performance of the VOTT bass systems permitted a 500Hz. crossover point beginning in 1945. The high frequency horns continued on unchanged.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Steve
    What do you think about the Pascalite diaphrams in my 299's will they benefit from the 300hz crossover?

    Thanks all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.